The castle of Donaueschingen has a long building history. The first building on this site was erected as early as the 16th century. However, it only served as a residence for one line of the House of Fürstenberg for a short time. It was only under Prince Joseph Wilhelm Ernst, who at the beginning of the 17th century was able to unite the possessions of the House of Fürstenberg, which had previously been distributed among various lines, in one hand, that Donaueschingen once again came into view, and this time permanently. For it was conveniently located at the symbolic source of the Danube and also close to the old ancestral castle on the Fürstenberg, which gave it its name.
From 1723, however, Prince Joseph Wilhelm Ernst only built a relatively simple, elongated building, which was to become part of a multi-wing Baroque palace complex that was never completed. This complex was no longer able to meet the more sophisticated demands of the 19th century in terms of comfort and representation. In 1892, Prince Karl Egon IV and his wife Dorothée, née Princess of Talleyrand-Perigord, began the renovation work. At that time, not only was the simple, elongated façade of the old baroque palace softened by the projecting central wing with balcony as well as two side risalites and a mighty dome.
The interior was also completely redesigned. Since then, the Donaueschingen Residence has uniquely combined the prestige and space of a palace with the living comfort of a villa, all under the auspices of a French-influenced sense of style. H.S.H. Prince Heinrich and his family moved into the building in 2002. Thanks to the renovation measures initiated at that time, which were only completed in 2007, Donaueschingen Castle is once again one of the most impressive and best-preserved castles in Baden-Württemberg.